Transport Debt

Whether you live in a city or in the country, transport is an important, and often expensive, part of life. If you own a motor vehicle you may have costs such as:

  • Vehicle registration – Free if receiving a pension.
  • Driver’s licence – Free if receiving a pension.
  • Compulsory insurance (Green Slip) – Shop around for a low premium. If you are a low-income earner, apply for a no interest loan (NILS) through BGF.
  • Pink Slip – Due each year if your vehicle is more than five years old.
  • Maintenance – If you are a low-income earner apply for a NILS. NAB has a StepUp loan at very low interest. To be eligible, you need to hold a current Centrelink Healthcare card, a pension card, or receive Family Tax Benefit – Part A.
  • Vehicle insurance – If you own an older car with low market value, then a cheaper option is available. Known as Third Party Property Only insurance it protects you against financial loss arising from any damage to another vehicle or property, but it will not cover the damage to, or theft of, your own vehicle. It is the cheapest form of voluntary vehicle insurance that you can buy.
  • Consider selling your vehicle altogether, especially if you have moved or are considering moving. If so, it would be worth choosing an area close to public transport.

Using public transport?

  • Buy a weekly, a TravelTen or other multiple-journey tickets as this will reduce costs.
  • Take advantage of unlimited daily travel for only $2.50 if you hold a Pensioner Concession Card
  • You are eligible for a 50% Travel Concession Card if you are receiving Newstart Allowance.
  • Walk when practical, as this is also a good form of exercise.