BGF’s PSMP "Take Control of Your Health" workshops are designed to improve the understanding of health management for people with HIV and explore heathy ways to live the best life possible. The workshops have been created in conjunction with Living Positive Victoria and Thorne Harbour Health and are available online and for people living with HIV who are 40+ years old. The program starts end of February (Date TBC) and will run for 6 weeks.
The workshops are free of charge and suitable for anyone with HIV, either newly diagnosed or living long term and partners, carers, family and support workers are all welcome. The sessions are highly interactive, where mutual support and success will build your confidence in your ability to manage your own health and maintain an active and fulfilling life. As well as addressing other challenges such as depression, loneliness, isolation, and stigma. By participating in this program, you will gain valuable knowledge and skills to manage your HIV and your general health. The program is facilitated by trained peers.
Subjects covered in the program include:
- Connect with others and breakdown that isolation
- How to best integrate medication regimens into your daily life so they can be taken consistently
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fear, fatigue, pain, and isolation
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Evaluating symptoms
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals such as your doctor
- How to achieve your goals...and lots more!
What do previous participants say about the program?
“Great workshop. Was good to learn new ideas and feedback from the other participants.”
"Overall, it was a very affirming experience – challenging at times which was a good thing because it took me out of my comfort zone.”
“Was great to share and receive others’ thoughts, opinions, ideas and issues in a way that was open and non-judgmental. Thanks very much.”
Watch what Nigel had to say about the PSMP program.
*These sessions are facilitated by trained peers.
Please note, programs need a minimum of 6 attendants to proceed. If less than 6 participants sign up by the start date, applicants will be placed on a waitlist until the minimum level is reached.